If you love Chipotle as much as I do, then this is the stuff for you! I’ve decided to post a healthy recipe today because people are probably freaking out and thinking that all I live on is cakes. (Which I have to say is partially true) Butttt…no, I also love cooking real food! This is one of those recipes where you can eat a whole bowl and still want more. If every vegan recipe was this good, I can almost say that I’d become a vegan..But then I remember my grilled chicken and I quickly change my mind, I sure do love chicken in my salads. 🙂 I do respect all of you vegans out there, I don’t have that willpower just yet.
Ingredients for the salad:
- 6 oz. long grain & wild rice mix (original)
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans (drained)
- 1-2 bell peppers (any color)
- 2 on the vine tomato’s
- 2 avocados
- 1 purple onion
- 1/3 cup cilantro (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
How to make the salad:
- In a small or medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Stir in the rice and add the spice packet that goes with it. Return to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce heat. Stir occasionally, cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Do not overcook it, this is not for pilaf, we don’t want our salad to mushy. When fully cooked, drain and cool the rice.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare all of the vegetables and drain the beans. Cut up the peppers the size you would like them to be. Then finely dice your purple onion. Cut the tomato and avocado and chop up the cilantro. (I’m not a big fan of cilantro, but i do add a little bit) If you happen to be a fan, add as much as you like.
- When your rice is cooled off, take a nice big bowl and add it to the bottom. Then, either layer your vegetables over each other, or like I did, put them side by side.
- Do not dress the salad until ready to serve! It becomes a bit soggy after a while. It can be held in the refrigerator up to 4 days if not dressed.
- When ready to serve, add 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of white wine vinegar (I also use red wine vinegar), whichever you have or prefer, and 1 tbsp of salt, or to taste.
Mix everything together then sit back and enjoy this simple yet delicious salad. 🙂