I LOVE CUPCAKES and chocolate…okay fine, and anything sweet 🙂 But seriously, chocolate cupcakes have always been my guilty pleasure. I’ve told myself many times that I would start living healthy. Yes I would start,.. but about on the second day I would be standing in line for some iced tea (because coffee is bad for you too) I’d stare at the double chocolate cupcakes and I’d tell myself “only today” I’ll eat one, and then I will stop. Hah! Who was I trying to fool? So, I gave up. I’m not saying I don’t love my healthy salads and other good stuff, but I NEVER leave my sweet tooth on the sidelines 😉
(I’ve adapted the recipe for the cupcakes from “Glorious Treats“.. She’s amazing with her cupcakes!)
Ingredients for 24 chocolate cupcakes:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (best if organic)
- 1 cup of boiling water
Ingredients for frosting:
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- Ghirardelli chocolate sauce
How to make chocolate cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Line your muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium or large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients, 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa, 1 3/4 cup of flour, 1.5tsp. baking powder, 1.5tsp baking soda, and 1tsp salt.
- Then add your 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, and 2tsp of vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until blended. (approx 1 min)
- Stir in the boiling water. The batter will be very thin, almost like your pouring hot cocoa in your muffin trays, BUT don’t worry! This is what makes them so moist.
5. Fill liners about 2/3 with batter. I went a little too far and over filled my cupcakes, they came out HUGE! Bake the cupcakes for 21 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before frosting and decorating.
How to make the Ghirardelli frosting:
- On high speed, beat together the 3 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of sugar. Beat for about 3-4 minutes or until the cream is nice and firm. Then drizzle the Ghirardelli sauce into the cream. I drizzled about 3 times until I got the color and taste that I wanted. You might like it a little darker and with a richer chocolate taste, I wanted it on the lighter side.
- Pipe the frosting with a larger nozzle, it makes the cupcakes much prettier. I used a 1B nozzle for my cupcakes. Finally drizzle the frosting with the amazing Ghirardelli sauce! And INDULGE! 🙂
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa (I used Ghiradelli)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (use organic if possible)
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Ghirardelli Chocolate Sauce
HOW TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees. Get your muffin tray ready with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups of sugar, 1 3/4 cup of flour, 1.5tsp. baking powder, 1.5tsp baking soda, and 1tsp salt.
- Then add your 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, and 2tsp of vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until blended. (1min)
- Stir in the boiling water. The batter will be very thin, almost like your pouring hot cocoa in your muffin trays, BUT don't worry! This is what makes them so moist.
- Fill liners about 2/3 with batter. Bake the cupcakes for 21 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before frosting and decorating.
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAM/FROSTING:
- On high speed, beat together the heavy cream and sugar. After 3-4 minutes or when stiff, add the Ghirardelli chocolate sauce. I drizzled it until I liked the color of my frosting.
- Pipe the frosting with a large piping nozzle. I used a Wilton 1B for my cupcakes. Then drizzle the Ghirardelli sauce over them.