This particular rice does not taste like the one we eat at hibachi, but hey it’s so delicious and SUPER easy and fast to make that we tend to make it every week or weekend. What makes this rice amazing is the sauce that we “drink” with it. Why I said “drink” is because no one will eat the rice if the sauce is not around. Literally I myself cannot eat it without the yum yum sauce (shrimp sauce) whatever you want to call it. It’s like a crown on a king’s head, or spaghetti and meat balls…I’m sure you got the point?
This recipe didn’t originate from myself, actually stole it from my mom’s sister Inna. Well okay I didn’t steal, we know that’s not a christian thing to do…but I kindly asked for it 🙂 She told me the ingredients, but you know how we role with measurements…we don’t. We make everything by our taste and our two eyes, yep I’m sure a lot of you role that way too. Butttt, for a blog, it’s just not going to pass through. So I brought everything together for you, nice and simple. Once you make it a few times, you wont need any measurement advice trust me, it’s that easy!
Ingredients for the rice:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1lb. shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 1 tsp. season salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Ingredients for the Yum Yum sauce (shrimp sauce)
- 1-1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
Instructions for the rice:
- Take your 1 cup of rice and wash it thoroughly till the water runs clean. Set aside.
2. Then take a medium saucepan and add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt, and 1tbsp olive oil. Stir and then add the rice. Cook rice for about 8-10 minutes. You don’t want it to overcook because then the rice will stick to each other.
3. After the rice has cooked, put it under cold running water and drain it. This keeps it from sticking and holds it in place. Set aside for now.
4. On medium to high heat, take a large stir-fry pan and place your one stick of butter to melt. After it’s melted crack your 5 eggs into the pan.
5. It’s time to make some scrambled eggs! Add a pinch of salt and mix till they’re nice and ready.
6. Turn off the scrambled eggs, and take a medium skillet to saute the peeled and deveined shrimp. I buy the bigger size shrimps and cut them in 3 or 4 halves. There are also small shrimps that you can buy right away and saves a little bit of time for ya. Add 1 tsp of seasoned salt and about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder to the shrimps.
7. Turn your skillet on to medium high temperature and saute the shrimps till nice and pink, or for about 2-3 minutes.
8. Now it’s time to throw everything together! Put the rice and shrimps in the stir fry and turn your stir fry back onto medium heat. Add your two tbsp of soy sauce and mix. I cook it for about 3-4 minutes to let out some of the moisture and make it a little more fried. Don’t worry it’s still going to be SUPER moist! (also amazing for reheating)
Instructions for the yum yum sauce:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl-may need to adjust on some ingredients to taste. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for about an hour, this way all the flavors can meld nicely. I usually don’t have patience and I dive right in! Tastes as good to me as the refrigerated one 🙂
Now let’s sit back and enjoy what we’ve just made…Mmm the taste buds come alive don’t they? 😉 Let me know what song they sang to ya!